canberrabirds

re Fyshwick Sewage Ponds access

To: "'Chris Davey'" <>, <>
Subject: re Fyshwick Sewage Ponds access
From: "Mark Clayton" <>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 13:28:03 +1100

Chris,

Has anyone from COG had a chance to discuss landscaping of the FSW? ACTEW now have the chance to make the area into a much more bird friendly site. Several years ago I visited, as I am sure other COG members have, the Henderson Sewage Works in Las Vegas in Utah. Most of the area is no longer a functioning  treatment plant and has been taken over by the local birders and extensively planted making it an excellent place to visit. The ponds still hold water so you get the variety of ducks and wading birds you would expect, plus the plantings attract a host of other species such as hummingbirds and small passerines. They even had Greater Roadrunners and Coyotes.

We have the opportunity to get something constructive done here, let’s not waste it!

Cheers,

Mark