canberrabirds

Grey Butcherbird and Spotted Dove

To: "'mariko buszynski'" <>, "'canberrabirds'" <>
Subject: Grey Butcherbird and Spotted Dove
From: "Mark Clayton" <>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 19:19:04 +1100

Hi Mariko,

Spotted Doves are another unwelcome bird that is slowly establishing itself in the local area. Some people like them and consider them harmless but do we really need another introduced species in Canberra? The CSIRO museum does not (as yet) have any specimens from the local area, so ..................!!

Your experience with Grey Butcherbirds is similar to mine. For the first time in the 36 years I have lived in Kaleen, a young butcherbird took up residence in the local area. Every morning over winter he would turn up for a feed of mince meat. Both the local magpies and currawongs had him bluffed but he always managed to get his share. We would hear him calling 5 minutes before he arrived on the back deck.

Most butcherbirds locally are found in the better wooded areas around Canberra where they breed. When territories break down and the young are forced to leave their parent’s territories, that is when they can be seen in the suburbs. It is not a common bird locally and hasn’t adapted to permanent city living like those in Sydney.

Mark