canberrabirds

From Eremaea NSW

To: COG List <>
Subject: From Eremaea NSW
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 08:15:16 +1100
A straight cut and paste from the birding-aus notification email..

Dated 4 October 2013
Grey Falcon Yass
I was stunned and thrilled to see a Grey Falcon fly over the Hume Highway between Coolalie Rd and the Barton Hwy fly-over about 2pm today. At first, when it was some way off, I thought the bird was a Grey Goshawk, but then the barred tail, black wingtips, barrel-shaped body and leisurely flight became distinct. The bird was about fifty feet above the ground. Having seen a Grey Falcon at Nombinnie NR in 2011, and another in Sturt NP back in 2000, I'm familiar with the species. I'd be very interested to know if Grey Falcons have been recorded in the Yass area before. One was seen in Canberra on 17.1.13.(Moderators Note: There are previous records for Lake George, Blayney 1975, & Cowra 1997 but I am not aware that there have been previous records for Yass AKM)
Lorne Johnson

--
Martin Butterfield