canberrabirds

ID of honeyeater

To: COG <>
Subject: ID of honeyeater
From: jude hopwood <>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2013 17:26:07 +1000
Thank you to all who responded.

 From the calls both Greg and I've been hearing and the description on Birds in Backyards, it is possible this bird is a Crescent honeyeater, with thanks to David Cook for his suggestion. The dark head and glimpse of what appears to be a honeyeater type beak certainly looks possible and the calls on BIB have now been, without prompting, what others say they've heard on near the letterbox - my sightings have been in and around the driveway. Although it is a very fast mover and I don't get sit down time to wait for it, I'll be looking for a positive ID for the next little while.

Thank you to the number of suggestions for European Goldfinch, but they are very identifiable as they have the extra red and white on the head, and are here pretty much year round for the past few years, now doing breeding type stuff behind our sheds and using the Western water trough for not only drinking but much 'playing'. They are also grateful for the non-weeded patches of garden beds with seed heads on grasses!!

Jude