canberrabirds

Magpie Habits

To: "'Bron King'" <>, <>
Subject: Magpie Habits
From: "Peter Ormay" <>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2013 22:13:53 +1000
Reciprocating?

-----Original Message-----
From: Bron King
Sent: Wednesday, 2 October 2013 9:41 PM

It's like a behaviour I've seen in another species. We stayed at the crater
lake at Eacham near Atherton last year, where the host and guests at the
accommodation regularly put food on the rainforest-enclosed balcony.
Lewin's Honeyeaters, Spotted Catbirds, Victoria's Riflebirds and a pair of
Black Butcherbirds visited on occasions.
One morning one of the butcherbirds ate, then flew off and returned with a
rather ragged item.
It placed it near me and left.

It took a moment or two to realise it was the tail of the Leaf-tailed Gecko.
Rather gory photos here.
https://picasaweb.google.com/bronkin/2Oct2013?authkey=Gv1sRgCImvyrTAiNSFZA#

Bronwyn King