canberrabirds

WT Eagle,

To: <>
Subject: WT Eagle,
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 22:25:05 +1000
The question of wonder if those adaptable maremma sheepdogs could adapt to this task is curious. I am extremely doubtful that this would work. The difference is not that of guarding chickens, rather than penguins or sheep. I suggest that would be a small change and very easily done in the training.

The difference is that these dogs are good at guarding against foxes and feral dogs (basically similar terrestrial predators as they are), rather than eagles. The point being that foxes and feral dogs will recognise a defending big dog because they are all similar and think the same way. Thus the deterrence is obvious. But how do you get eagles to be deterred by a dog? Also eagles will attack quickly from the air and most of the time can get away easily and long before a defending dog would even know. So even if you could train maremma sheepdogs to recognise an eagle, (which I doubt), because they can't smell them and would be unlikely to have that instinct, they don't have the time to defend that would arise from foxes and feral dogs that will be noticed and can be chased off by big dogs.

Philip

-----Original Message-----From: Daryl King [ Sent: Tuesday, 1 October 2013 11:12 AM      To:
Subject: Re: [canberrabirds] WT Eagle,

Lovely story John.  Amusing to wonder if those adaptable maremma sheepdogs could adapt to this task (eg http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/blog/sheepdogs-guard-penguins/).