canberrabirds

RE: [canberrabirds] Magpie Habits WARNING, risqué language herein.

To: "'Ray Comer'" <>, <>
Subject: RE: [canberrabirds] Magpie Habits WARNING, risqué language herein.
From: "Margaret Leggoe" <>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:25 +1000
OK Ray, since you have thrown down the challenge, this is my story from
yesterday.

Dad Magpie in our neighbourhood is so tame that he follows me inside when I
go to the fridge for his ration of meat.  Yesterday afternoon I had been in
the back yard photographing a magnificent iridescent beetle I had found, and
decided to put him (the beetle) under the gum tree out the front in a place
a bit protected from magpies.  I just quickly walked through the house
leaving the doors open as I went, put the beetle under the tree and came
back in the front door banging it behind me.  I didn?t know that Dad Magpie
had followed me and was standing in the front hallway when I banged the
door.  Poor little bird got the fright of his life and took to the air in a
desperate attempt to escape, squirting panic-stricken diarrhoea in all
directions as he went.  By some miracle, he neither broke anything nor shat
on my photography gear.  And was the poor little magpie traumatised?  Not
he!  As soon as I walked out with a morsel of meat for him he came straight
up and took it out of my hand.  Forgiveness all round.

Margaret Leggoe