canberrabirds

RE: Unusual patch.

To: "'Margaret Leggoe'" <>
Subject: RE: Unusual patch.
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 17:37:20 +1000
Hi Margaret,

It is just the way that the feathers are arranged. You wrote "The blue shade is due to the heavy blue cast as it was overcast when this shot was taken". But the front of the wing, from the shoulder to the wrist, is pale blue in these birds. Looking at a picture of the bird in flight, in a field guide shows that. What you have there as blue is correct and not because of any lighting effect.

I don't see any white patch. The pale patch that I think you are asking about, is the blue front of the wing. It is only confusing, if at all, because the brown feathers of the flank ("body feathering") have come up over the wing, and thus break up (cover) the front outline of the wing. If those brown feathers of the flank were flush with the body or still under the wing, (as would be the case if the bird had recently opened its wing), the blue front of the wing would be quite obvious. When I look at the swimming picture in Pizzey's book that shows the brown feathers of the flank completely covering the front of the wing.