canberrabirds

Walk(s) in Bungedore area

To: COG List <>, Noah Little <>, gang-gang <>
Subject: Walk(s) in Bungedore area
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 19:20:32 +1000
The editors of Gang-gang may use this as the outing report

11 optimistic members and guests partook of this month's mid-week walk.

At the appointed meeting spot, at the start of Lake Rd Bungendore, an early highlight was  Grey Shrike-thrush carrying food.  As Lake Road was wet and a tad slippery after yesterday's deluge we decided to visit the Big Dam and then go to Brooks Hill Reserve.

At the now water-replenished dam the obvious highlights were Pink-eared and Freckled ducks, with counts giving 25 of each.  One male Chestnut Teal was certainly present and 4 other birds lurking with Grey Teal were considered to also be Chestnut Teal out of breeding plumage.  Both Red-kneed (2) and Black-fronted (1) Dotterels.  At least 2 White-fronted Chats were seen on the island and a flock of 15+ Double-barred Finches briefly visited the group.  No-one was to mention the descendants of Red Junglefowl walking about on the road.

Once we had identified the full 33 species of birds in the area we moved on, passing by the small dam on Trucking Yard Lane which was, astonishingly, almost free of birdlife.  2 Australian Shelduck were seen on the far side of the paddock and another 2 as we drove away.

Our final stop was Brooks Hill Reserve (thanks to David McDonald for that suggestion).   The walk up the old highway was rather quiet, both actually and metaphorically.  However near the top of the road a Speckled Warbler was first heard and then seen feeding on the ground.  A cuckoo was seen and after a hunt on the nearby hillside seen and identified as a Fan-tailed Cuckoo.  Although bird-calls remained few we struck a good area with most of the group getting good views of a male Mistletoebird, and all seeing a male Scarlet Robin.  Other than the red birds a small flock of Brown-headed Honeteayers were spotted as were a pair of Varied Sitellas, building a nest high in a eucalypt.  Back near the cars a White-throated Honeyeater emerged from a hollow and was recorded as a breeding record. The total for the site was 32 species.

With very different habitats it was not surprising there was little overlap between the two areas.  In total we recorded 58 species for the day.

The editors of Gang-gang may use this in the forthcoming outings area
In October the outing will be on the 16th to Round Flat Fire Trail in the Tinderries.  As this is a longer trip people should bring lunch and plenty of water.  I expect we will walk 5+ kilometres on the fire trail.  I suggest those coming from Canberra carpool (into Foresters or above as there is a fair bit of dirt road)  at the Kambah Village shops at 8:30am, meeting those coming from Queanbeyan at the Michelago turn-off the Monaro Highway at 9am.

Not for Gang-gang
A blog post with some photos and other commentary is at http://franmart.blogspot.com.au/2013/09/cog-has-most-excellent-day-at-bungendore.html
--
Martin Butterfield