canberrabirds

Can crows count?

To: "'John Harris'" <>
Subject: Can crows count?
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 16:24:03 +1000
Thanks. In Mudgee it would still most likely be the Australian Raven. My mentioning Canberra was to give a local context, not really a comment on your story. Also the story is likely decades old. It may well be even before the experts (mainly Rowley) managed to work out that there is a difference there and there are 5 species of this group in Aus.

The 5 species are all very similar in appearance, hard to tell apart. It took some careful study (not so long ago) to work out the relationships. The use of "crow" in the general sense is reasonable.