canberrabirds

Ginninderra Creek and the Dunlop Ponds

Subject: Ginninderra Creek and the Dunlop Ponds
From: pardalote <>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 20:08:52 +1000
 Hi All

I went for a bike ride along Ginninderra Creek this afternoon, hoping to see a few nice birds. On the way I encountered an Eastern Bearded-Dragon, which took a disliking to me taking photographs, and began to "inflate" itself, thus making itself more of an attractive photo opportunity. A few minutes later I approached a stand of trees that I know for having Noisy Friarbirds. I found one, and it looked like it was making some nest building rounds, but I didn't stop to check. I kept riding, and found numerous other lizards to pester, but they scurried before I could get too close. All the while I could hear and see Red-Browed Finches, Weebills and Fairy Wrens foraging and chattering.  I ended up at the Dunlop ponds, and found not little of interest except for a Hoary-Headed Grebe. I decided I might as well check out the West Belconnen Ponds while I was at it. There I found two pairs of Mallards, one male in particular showing head plumage of a rather blue/purple colouration - probably a hybrid. There was also a single Pekin Duck, more Hoary-Headed Grebes, and a pair of Shovelers. On the way back home, I encountered an Oriole which was singing happily, then joined by a Friarbird.
While not the most exciting trip, it was a rather enjoyable trip with all the birds making the most of the warm Spring weather.

Matt.