canberrabirds

Superb Parrots

To: <>
Subject: Superb Parrots
From: "Mark Clayton" <>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2013 15:36:38 +1000

Good afternoon all,

For pretty well all of today I have been hearing and seeing Superb Parrots around my house in Kaleen. The birds are not in big numbers but there has been a steady stream all day. In Darby Street behind my house is a large ironbark in full flower and the birds appear to be trying to get to this tree, much to the annoyance of the local Red Wattlebirds who have already been waging war on the Noisy Friarbirds since they turned up on the 29th of August. The ACT Government in their wisdom(???!!!) cut down most of these trees, which were planted as “street trees”, during the latter stages of the last drought as a few were showing signs of stress. Those that were left recovered well and are now well populated with friarbirds.

Chris Davey asked several weeks ago for records of Superb Parrots feeding in flowering ironbarks. I have seen several other ironbarks in flower on the north side but have not (yet) seen the parrots feeding in them. It looks like it is going to be a good year for Superb Parrots locally.

Mark