canberrabirds

Grey Fantail in Wamboin

To: David Cook <>
Subject: Grey Fantail in Wamboin
From: Duncan McCaskill <>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 17:38:18 +1000
I've had Grey Fantails around my place in Giralang for the last 3 weeks. I'm a couple of hundred metres lower than Wamboin, so altitude may be a factor.

I've just taken a walk down the upper reaches of Lake Ginninderra, and there were a lot of Grey Fantails around. I also found my first Yellow-faced Honeyeater of the season. It was huddling silent and still in a small Callitris (Black Cypress) on the Ginninderra Drive embankment. It looked as if it regretted coming back so early in the season. The same tree was otherwise alive with highly active and vocal small birds - Grey Fantails, Superb Fairy-wrens, Brown Thornbills and Yellow Thornbills. A lot of confusing and difficult to identify twittering and zitting. While I was watching them a couple angry Magpies chased a Collared Sparrowhawk across the lake.

I also flushed a couple of Brown Quail near the dog exercise area in Diddams Close.

Duncan.