canberrabirds

Olive-backed Oriole and Crescent Honeyeater

To: "'canberra birds'" <>
Subject: Olive-backed Oriole and Crescent Honeyeater
From: "Jack & Andrea Holland" <>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 08:20:46 +1000
Paul, re the OBO, possibly a tad early though as one of the last species to leave it is also amongst the earliest to return, with Steve Wallace’s charts obtained from the COG database showing a sharp rise in September (and a small rise in August compared with May to July).  I’ve always thought the first to return are towards the end of August, though particularly this year when migrants seem to be slow in coming despite the mild conditions, you can’t rule out that it has overwintered, which as pointed out in my recent Gang-gang column (and confirmed by Steve’s charts) happens in small numbers.

Very interesting re the Crescent Honeyeater, it’s been a regular in my garden in Chapman since the early 80s, but there have been few in the past couple of years, and none so far this winter.  Certainly from some of the postings on the chat line they seem to have found some other spots to go this winter, and I agree with you if they’re in your garden they will certainly make themselves heard!

Jack Holland