canberrabirds

Karen Ikin and Laura Rayner present to ACT Govt on urban birdlife and wo

To: CanberraBirds <>
Subject: Karen Ikin and Laura Rayner present to ACT Govt on urban birdlife and woodland bird decline
From: "David McDonald (personal)" <>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 11:46:00 +1000
Info from the Environmental Decisions Group:
quote
Canberra: Karen Ikin and Laura Rayner present to ACT Govt on urban birdlife and woodland bird decline
Karen and Laura are presenting to the ACT Environment and Sustainable Development Directorate on Friday 26 July.

Karen is speaking on: What do birds need to survive in the city
“I'll summarise findings from a 3-year study investigating this question. I'll talk about the importance of urban trees, the relationship between vegetation complexity and bird diversity, how degraded land can be valuable and why it's important to manage it appropriately, and whether it's possible to have both urban sustainability and bird diversity. I'll also touch on what all of this means for habitat connectivity and future urban planning.”

Laura will be speaking on: “What we need to know about Australian woodland bird decline”
“In the last 50 years, reports of woodland bird decline throughout the temperate zone of Australia have flooded the conservation literature. Given the challenges associated with deriving accurate and reliable trend estimates, what inference can be drawn from this literature? We take a look at how conservation science has progressed for this threatened assemblage of species and discuss the implications for managing woodland bird populations in the A.C.T. We'll also provide a timely update on the conservation status of these species based on empirical monitoring records from the last 15 years, capturing population responses to one of the most severe droughts in Australian history.”
unquote

- David
--
David McDonald