canberrabirds

Scarlet rosella

To: "'sandra henderson'" <>, "'Johnebuckley'" <>
Subject: Scarlet rosella
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 15:22:35 +1000
My reading of John's description is similar to several that I have seen, so not especially unusual (only if you look rather closely at them). I suspect it is an age thing that some of them have (probably intermediate stage before full adult but that is a guess). Of course the Crimson Rosella is a form of the same species that includes the mainly yellow Yellow Rosella and mainly orange Adelaide Rosella. There is always a possibility of some genetic input form one of them (certainly very likely in Deniliquin)

The hybrid ones that Sandra mentions are I think quite different. You wouldn't normally identify them as Crimson Rosellas. They look far more like odd Easterns, except with more extensive red on the front and with blue or partly blue cheeks.