canberrabirds

YTBC, WTE and Little Eagles

To: COG <>
Subject: YTBC, WTE and Little Eagles
From: jude hopwood <>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2013 15:36:00 +1000
My excitement over our usual flock of 27 YTBC flying low overhead at Currawang yesterday pales somewhat in the light of Martin's and Judy's lovely big sightings. It must be a wonderful experience to be near so very many of these glorious birds.

Today, however, a rather intriguing event just to the WSW of Goulburn (Brisbane Grove Road and Braidwood Road). A Wedge-Tailed Eagle and three Little Eagles in semi-confrontational mode moving vaguely North Easterly and continuing to circle the same areas until out of sight. A second WTE joined the fray from a position hidden on the side of the road, but not near a road-killed wombat. An hour before, a Brown Goshawk had been hawking in the same area and as we drove off from viewing the eagles doing their thing, a Nankeen Kestrel appeared hawking over the same area.  There have been a lot of lamb losses in the last week or so, but we could not see any in the paddocks nearby.

jude