canberrabirds

Little Eagle and texting

To: Cog line <>
Subject: Little Eagle and texting
From: Ace Frawley <>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 20:36:19 +1000
A friend of mine showed me a photo of a bird today that he wanted identified and before showing it to me, I asked him the context of the sighting.  He said he has chickens that free-range outside on a property at Sutton and when he arrived home, he found one of them dead, with the wild bird standing atop the carcass, eating it.  He showed me the photo and it was a Little Eagle.  Good photo as well.  He said he was able to get within about 5 metres of the eagle and it made a hissing sound at him.  He has kept his chickens under cover since the loss.  I did advise him that the Little Eagle is vulnerable in NSW and the ACT.  I'm guessing this sort of thing isn't all too common but not an unexpected or exceptional event to occur?

p.s. on Phillip's Tuggeranong Parkway sign, my interpretation is that it is a warning of the danger of using a mobile phone to send text messages whilst driving a car and that if you do it, then you are likely to be the next to crash your car.