canberrabirds

Coppin's Crossing today

To: Margaret Leggoe <>
Subject: Coppin's Crossing today
From: "Woo O'Reilly" <>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 11:30:26 +1000
Apologies in advance as the following email contains a bit of off-topic opportunism!

I run the Upper Murrumbidgee Waterwatch program which some of you may already know about or be involved in. We have volunteers taking water quality measurements once a month at over 200 sites from Cooma up to Yass. Recently a long term volunteer who monitored both Coppins and Urriarra Crossings has retired so I thought I might just mention it here if anyone might be interested in taking up one or both sites. Coppins Crossing is of particular concern at present given the need to monitor water quality coming off the Molonglo development. We provide a kit, training and support so please feel free to give me a call if you would like to know more - Woo O'Reilly 0413 246 761.

And while I'm here I better report a bird sighting :) Whilst out on the job last month I took a water sample at the drainage line that runs under Mulligan's Flat road where it meets with Old Gundaroo Rd. It was late in the afternoon so the light wasn't great and I disturbed what I think was a spotless crake that dashed back into the reeds. I'm not overly confident in my crakes but it looked dark and streamlined (out of the corner of my eye it seemed almost rodent-like in the way it moved) and the bill seemed more like a spotless.

Thanks - Woo O'Reilly