canberrabirds

Birdline Australian Capital Territory Weekly Update

To: <>
Subject: Birdline Australian Capital Territory Weekly Update
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 18:13:41 +1000
With regard to the below. About 3 weeks ago when I was doing one of my walks around the block (i.e. Castley & Boddington, that often includes the sports ground where I saw the Cockatiel and the Peaceful Dove, and to Kambah Village shops). At the opposite end of Castley Circuit from my end, I heard a Cockatiel calling and then heard a girl calling to it from behind a fence. Then stickybeaking through a hole in the fence I had a vague view of a small aviary with a Galah and whatever else, that strangely I had never noticed before. This girl (after I said why I was stickybeaking through a hole in the fence) told me that her Cockatiel (that I had just heard) had just got out and she was trying to call it back. I told her that a couple weeks ago I had seen a Cockatiel male associating with Galahs and Red-rumped Parrots only about 300 metres away at the sports ground . She said yes she was aware of that one and had seen it for some weeks there but it was not her bird. This morning I heard a Cockatiel flying past my house. I don't know what is any connection between them all.

Philip

-----Original Message-----From: [ On Behalf Of
Sent: Monday, 22 April 2013 1:31 AM      To:       Subject: [Birding-Aus] Birdline Australian Capital Territory Weekly Update

Birdline Australian Capital Territory

Published sightings for the week ending 21 Apr 2013.

Thu 18 Apr Cockatiel Kambah 10' Cell
Cockatiel (1) male. Found first, flying at distance together with Galahs. Found again feeding on ground with Galahs and Red-rumped parrots. Flying distance seemed fine (perching in Birch trees when disturbed), flying perfectly well, no ring, but obviously hard to rule out escapee! Record shot taken with my iPod. Found at 12pm, still feeding on ground at 12.15pm when we left. With Jono Henshaw.
Vivien Rolland

Wed 17 Apr Peaceful Dove, Rose Robin Kambah 10' Cell
In the area around Kambah 1 District Playing Fields. Mild, 3/8 cloud, light breeze. Looking for Peaceful Dove reported by Philip Veerman and 'Michael', and found one Peaceful Dove associating with three Crested Pigeons. Was also delighted to spot one male Rose Robin.
Christine D

Birdline Australian Capital Territory is hosted by Eremaea Birds.