canberrabirds

Paucity of Crested Pigeons? Ainslie

Subject: Paucity of Crested Pigeons? Ainslie
From: "boy nature" <>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 10:15:12 -0400

Probably irrelevant now, & anecdotal.

But the day after the Crested pigeon email (which I hadn't then seen), on my Dickson wetlands and my Mt Ainslie walks, I saw 16 in upper Hackett- I think near a bird feeder/water. Then 20 around Dickson wetland reserve. At the time I was thinking how many there were.

Then today at Ainslie shops oval there were 16 and near Ainslie Football Ovals there were another >20 (where I think there is also a feeder). Today I saw many birds, including Galahs, King Parrots, red wattlebirds (no gang gangs), but Crested pigeons were clearly the second most common species after SC Cockatoos (which I saw well over 100 in 3 main spots). All anecdotal accounts, but they seem very common around Ainslie areas. Perhaps they move and winter feed is better here, maybe through feeders and many fallen acorns??? maybe autumn berries.

This does not refute Duncan's more detailed graphs as numbers dont seem to have changed as much in N Canberra.

Benj Whitworth