canberrabirds

Want to help stop hunting impacting our children and teachers?

To: "'Canberra Birds'" <>
Subject: Want to help stop hunting impacting our children and teachers?
From: <>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 10:54:15 +1000
Not to be missed if you are interested in this subject.

Cheers All,

Bruce

Sent: Sunday, June 09, 2013 5:37 AM

NO HUNTING in National Parks

Tune in 8:30pm Mon 10 June to ABC's Four Corners

"THE HUNTING PARTY", reported by Matthew Carney and presented by Kerry O'Brien goes to air on Monday 10th June at 8.30pm on ABC1. It is replayed on Tuesday 11th June at 11.35pm. It can also be seen onABC iview and at abc.net.au/4corners

Preview it here: http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stories/2013/06/06/3776198.htm

Want to help stop hunting impacting our children and teachers?

In September 2012, we called for help to keep pro-hunting agendas out of our schools. We discovered the Game Council was pushing its ‘Be safe, be seen’ program onto children as young as five, encouraging them to hunt.

The Shooters and Fishers Party have an agenda of having shooting introduced as an approved sport in our schools. Barry O’Farrell’s infamous quote doesn't leave us very confident it won't happen:

"There will not be a decision to turn our national parks into hunting reserves (and) we're not going to replace literacy and numeracy in our schools with 'How to dismantle a gun in five seconds'."
Barry O’Farrell 12 April 2011

Our teachers and children are already punished by the agendas of the Shooters. Field trips will not be allowed into the national parks where amateur, recreational hunting takes place, as the risks are too high. This is also the case for TAFE’s and Universities.

But! We have a great opportunity to help our children and teachers.

The NSW Teachers Federation represents over 70,000 teachers in NSW public pre-schools, infants, primary and secondary schools and TAFE Institutes.

Parents, and students over 18, can call on their teachers to support the motion of opposition to recreational hunting in national parks at the 2013 NSW Teachers Federation Annual Conference, 30 June – 2 July 2013.

You must take action before Friday 28th 2013!

Here are some ways you could go about doing this:

> Find out which teachers in your school are members of the NSW Teachers Federation and let them know you want the motion supported.

> Phone or email your local or regional NSW Teachers Federation office. Be sure to identify yourself, which school or TAFE you are associated with and why you are making contact.

Here are the contacts of the NSW Teachers Federation Office’s in NSW. If you don’t see one that is relevant, contact the Sydney office:

Bathurst Regional Office
Ph: (02) 6331 5761
E:
Blacktown Regional Office
Ph: (02) 9622 9201
E:
Broken Hill Office Ph: (08) 8087 6694 E:
Dubbo Regional Office
Ph: (02) 6882 6978
E:
Lismore Regional Office
Ph: (02) 6621 3623
E:
Newcastle Regional Office Ph: (02) 4920 9833
E:
Queanbeyan Regional Office
Ph: (02) 6297 8862
 E:
Port Macquarie Regional Office
Ph: (02) 6583 7244
 E:
Sydney office. Ph: (02) 9217 2100 E:
Tamworth Regional Office
Ph: (02) 6766 9882
E:
Wagga Wagga Regional Office
Ph: (02) 6921 4227
E:
Wollongong Regional Office Ph: (02) 4228 4414 E:

More details about these offices can be found here: http://www.nswtf.org.au/about/offices.html

Please, please, please give strong though to this action, our children need it.

Thanks!

Justin McKee,

Campaign Coordinator,

Naitonal Parks Assocation of NSW

PS: circulate all this to everyone you know!

To update your preferences and to unsubscribe visit this link
Forward this message to a friend this link