canberrabirds

'New' Dickson Wetland- Hoary headed grebes

To: canberra birds <>
Subject: 'New' Dickson Wetland- Hoary headed grebes
From: Susanne Gardiner <>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 14:21:43 +0100 (BST)
Hi

It has been mentioned before. The Australasian Grebes have been breeding there for the last couple of years. I've seen a dollar bird there once and over this summer the Reed Warblers have established themselves.
We've had a couple of Black-fronted Dotterels there a while back, and over the last few months there were a single White Ibis and a single White-faced Heron on site.
There are people and dogs going onto the middle ridge/peninsula, which I regard as a bird retreat, not just the small island. Not a lot of people go on there, but it might be enough to keep the crakes away.
My dogs swims in there (though I keep her off the middle ridge) and the ducks seem to have got used to the dogs. They don't take flight, just swim outside reach.

There are plenty of roos around, especially at dusk, night and at dawn. A couple of weeks ago the big "resident" male got killed on Majura Avenue in front of the Primary School. The grass at the wetland is littered with roo-poo.

What I haven't seen for about a year is the long time resident Guinea Fowl that used to live on Hawdon St and the TAMS site for years.

Cheers,
Susanne