canberrabirds

A question for everybody

To: "'charles davis'" <>, "'Canberra Birds'" <>
Subject: A question for everybody
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 15:03:30 +1000
The possible answers are "yes" and "no". I would be surprised if there is a generally correct answer to this. I would be surprised if any more than very few species would always answer the same, let alone most species. I would be very surprised at a option of abandon the nest for ever after. The birds using a site may be the same two individuals, one of the pair, or 2 new birds, so tracking memory is difficult. It also depends a lot on how easy it is to find a new nest site. Surely the answer is different for hollow nesting species (such as gang gangs, for which a good tree hollow is likely to be used again) to those that build a stick nest in a tree (such as goshawks) which is probably not in short supply. Raptors are inclined to use the same nest or tree or general area over a series of years. Whether they are more likely to change partners or to change site or neither, after a failure is a big question with surely many answers. But predation is a constant risk.