canberrabirds

Banding

To: <>, <>
Subject: Banding
From: "Mark Clayton" <>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 11:49:49 +1000

Robin,

The wren was banded [and has nothing to do with the wrens all colour-banded in the Australian National Botanic Gardens] as part of a cuckoo/host study being undertaken by ANU students doing their (I think) PhD’s, supervised by Drs Naomi Langmore and Robert Heinsohn, in Campbell Park. You can report banded birds to any of the COG members who are banders – Anthony Overs, Richard Allen, Paul Mahoney, Harvey Perkins, Peter Milburn, Alex Drew or myself (apologies to any local A-class bander I have omitted) or contact . The ABBBS is the Australian Bird and Bat Banding Schemes, headquartered in Canberra. There are several students working in Campbell Park and from what I have seen, they are mostly away from the more frequently visited areas in CP.

In the case of the wren photo, the colour combinations will be unique to that bird so if people are recording colour banded birds (and not just in Canberra), please ensure you record the correct colour combination on which leg, in this case light blue/red/dark blue on right leg, (looks like) red/metal (“silver”) left leg. On the coast there are many waders with leg “flags”, some with numbers written on them, and both species of oystercatchers have colour markings. Always record the date and locality where sighted, plus your contact details and the banding office will get back to you.

If people happen to find a dead banded bird try and remove the band, record the details – including the band number – on a piece of paper with locality etc and again pass it on to one of the banders who will send it to the banding office. Be aware that you may actually come across seabirds or waders that have been banded by another countries’ banding scheme. The ABBBS is in constant touch with these other schemes and will get the original banding details back to the finder.

Hope this answers your query.

Cheers,

Mark

Regional Organiser (ACT)