canberrabirds

Pied Honeyeaters

To: <>
Subject: Pied Honeyeaters
From: "Mark Clayton" <>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 08:57:07 +1000

G’day all,

I spent the weekend travelling with my wife Kay,  and Kelly Debono and Lee Philip checking out the sites for the COG trip I am leading on the second of the October weekends, to the Stackpoole and Langtree Nature Reserves between Goolgowi and Hillston, north of Griffith. There were still quite a few birds around these reserves including a late Pallid Cuckoo, large numbers of White-browed Woodswallows and a few Crimson Chats. Kelly and Lee are both relative newcomers to bird watching and I had a list of species that they both wanted to see. These included Black-tailed Native-hens, Budgerigars and  Zebra Finches. I decided that the best place to see at least two of these species was at the Lake Cargellico sewage ponds. Almost the first species we saw were the native-hens, along with two Freckled Ducks, quite a few Australian Shelducks and heaps of Darters; there were lots of other species present. I knew of a small section where I had found Zebra Finches nesting last year so went to have a look. There were perhaps 20 Zebs near the nesting site but our attention was attracted to several smallish brown birds sitting on top of some African Box Thorn bushes some distance away that looked vaguely like female White-winged Trillers. It was when a couple flew that I realised they were female or young Pied Honeyeaters, and this was confirmed when a male decided to show itself. Photos were taken and there were at least three adult males in the group of about 15 birds.

If you haven’t been to the Lake Cargellico ponds they are easy to find, about 2 km before you arrive in the town on the right hand side of the road travelling from West Wyalong. There is a sign on the side of the road saying “bird hide” which will give you a laugh when you see it – I’m not sure what it is trying to hide(!!) but the ponds are well worth a visit. With a bit of patience you can record all three species of crakes there, plus a lot of other species.

Last October a group of “my” banding team travelled to Round Hill and Nombinnie NRs and both Pied and Black Honeyeaters were abundant. They were also present at Stackpoole NR so given a reasonable season out that way I can’t see why we won’t get them this October. We won’t be travelling via Round Hill or Lake Cargellico this October.

Cheers,

Mark