canberrabirds

Comments from the North West.

To: COG List <>
Subject: Comments from the North West.
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 21:27:52 +1100
We took a short sojourn to Lake Cargelligo last Wednesday.  It was 39C when we arrived!  Part of the reason for going was my memory of being able to drive around the sewage pits and thus use one's vehicle as a mobile blind.  Alas, that seems not to be possible any more.  This disappointment was more than made up for by spotting a Pied Honeyeater by the closed gate.  Other observers reported 2 pairs of this species in the same area.

We came home via Parkes where we stayed on Thursday night (in a downpour).  On Friday we decided to call in at the Parkes sewage pond as advertised in "Bird routes of the Parkes Shire".  It was indeed a good spot and birding from the car was definitely possible here.  However there are a couple of traps for young drivers:
  • The directions refer to driving along  eg "for 3.5km": in fact it is 'to 3.5km from the start of the drive' (ie cumulative distance not elapsed); and
  • the road you turn into is Akuna Rd not Ahuna Rd!

--
Martin Butterfield