canberrabirds

Poultry theme continued - a Crested Pigeon casualty?

To: <>
Subject: Poultry theme continued - a Crested Pigeon casualty?
From: "Ian Baird" <>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 15:07:02 +1100

Recently I posted an observation (last month) that Crested Pigeons had been in the habit of seeking spilled grain in my enclosed hen run at 15 Fairfax street O’Connor. This breeding season my  local pair of Crested Pigeons apparently raised two young and those young birds were seen following the older birds example of entering the hen run when the door was open (I let the 5 Australorp hens out to forage more widely some evenings). One morning last week I observed a Crested Pigeon carcass in the straw on the floor of my hen run – judging by the plumage it was probably one of the immature birds. Its well known poultry will attack sometimes even kill rats or mice which invade their territory, so perhaps no one should be surprised a Crested Pigeon might have met a similar fate.

PS I say ‘might’, of course, because I did not actually see the event.