canberrabirds

Fwd: Barry O'Farrell's reply - note dates

To: COG <>
Subject: Fwd: Barry O'Farrell's reply - note dates
From: jude hopwood <>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 07:01:09 +1100

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Barry O'Farrell <>
Date: Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 1:36 PM
Subject: Re: Stop Hunting in our National Parks (Feral Pest and Animal Control in National Parks)
To: Mrs Judith Hopwood <>

Dear Sir / Madam

I have previously received correspondence from you regarding the Game and Feral Animal Control Act 2002.

Feral pests and animals do great harm to our national parks by destroying habitats, flora and fauna.

Last year, NPWS removed over 54,000 feral animals including pigs, dogs, cats, foxes, deer and goats from our national parks and reserves. This work was undertaken by NPWS rangers with the assistance of contracted shooters.

This existing program will now be extended by inviting restricted licensed shooters to assist with pest eradication and control in 79 out of 799 parks and reserves across the State. Similar programs have operated in Victoria and South Australia for many years.

Only those persons who hold a restricted game licence will be permitted to help remove feral animals from our national parks. Under no circumstances will this program operate in any metropolitan area, wilderness or World Heritage area.

This new program will commence later in 2013 under strict conditions mandated by the Minister for the Environment.

Further information in relation to how the program will operate in individual parks will be available in the lead up to the commencement of the program at the Office of Environment and Heritage website - www.environment.nsw.gov.au.

This is a responsible conservation program that will build on existing pest eradication programs in our national parks.

Thank you for taking the time to write to me on this important matter.

Yours sincerely

Barry O’Farrell MP
Premier
_______________________

>>> Mrs  Judith Hopwood <> 02/04/13 16:10 >>>

The Hon. B.R. O'Farrell M.P.
Premier

Dear Premier,

I write to request that members of the NSW Coalition Government take action
to stop recreational shooting in our national parks and the significant
expansion of duck hunting in NSW.

I am one of many citizens appalled by the outcome from the deal between the
NSW Coalition Government and the Shooters and Fishers Party, allowing
recreational shooting in our national parks and other reserve areas.

I am outraged to note that this socially and environmentally irresponsible
decision has gone unchallenged by every member of the Liberal and National
Party. Each member has therefore endorsed a group that seeks to involve
children as young as 12 years old in hunting activities, and investment in an
amateur program that is ineffective in controlling feral animals.

The primary objective of any feral animal control program should be the
reduction of feral animal populations using the most efficient, humane
methods available.

The changes to legislation you have allowed in 2012 occurred to meet the
objectives of increasing the number of programs recreational shooters can
legally participate in, and the size of hunting areas.

It is not in the interest of the Game Council of NSW that any program to
control feral animals is completely successful; as it would lead to a
reduction in recreational shooting programs for its membership.

Reducing feral animals in our parks must be carried out by professionals in a
systematic and evidence based way. Recreational hunters pose a safety risk to
park staff and visitors.

I am also appalled that your government has brought about changes that
reintroduce duck hunting as a sport. By shifting the responsibility of the
issuing of duck shooting licences to the NSW Game Council, there will be a
significant expansion of duck hunting for pleasure.The Game Council is an
agency with the primary purpose of promoting and expanding hunting in NSW.

The practice of duck hunting carries significant animal cruelty concerns, as
native ducks are often maimed and left to face  a prolonged and inhumane
death.

I therefore request that members of the NSW Coalition Government act to:
- Repeal the amendments to the Game and Feral Animal Control Act 2002, passed
on 27th June 2012, which allow shooting in national parks and other reserves;
and
-  Repeal the amendments to the Game and Feral Animal Control Act 2002 and
the National Parks and Wildlife Act 1974 which transfer responsibility for
issuing licences to hunt native ducks to the NSW Game Council, an agency with
the primary purpose of promoting and expanding hunting in NSW.

Yours sincerely,

Mrs. Judith Hopwood