canberrabirds

Another suggested ACT Grey Falcon obs

To: "'canberrabirds'" <>
Subject: Another suggested ACT Grey Falcon obs
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 15:40:59 +1100

Today in the bank, I met Kendall Wheeler who lives on Learmonth Drive, Kambah. He is the son (and "spitting image" as I recall the father) of Roy Wheeler (well known bird author and long time president and / or secretary of both RAOU & BOCA - who was BOCA Sec when I joined them in 1970). Over the past several years I often see Kendall in Tuggeranong. At first I couldn't work out why I thought I knew him, until I realised I was thinking of his dad, who died decades ago. He introduced himself to me after seeing all the bird club stickers on my car. He likes to yak with me about birds he or I have seen around the place. I don't know his age but I guess he has about 60+ years birding experience around the country. He claims to have seen a Grey Falcon recently, passing by the hill, adjacent to Learmonth Drive (which must be Urambi Hills). I had to leave quickly to catch a bus home (they are only every hour). So I don't have any details about this. I don't comment either way, other than out of some envy and the interest, given I think 3 other recent mentions of this species locally.