canberrabirds

Wednesday Walk to Warks Rd

To: COG List <>,
Subject: Wednesday Walk to Warks Rd
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 21:36:51 +1100

The editors of Gang-gang  may wish to use this as the trip report

"On 20 February the COG Wednesday Walkers went to check out Warks Rd (and a few other spots) in the Brindabella Ranges to the west of Canberra.  22 of us eventually gathered at the big dam beside Urriara Homestead.

 "In a fairly brief stay we recorded 19 species here, with the highlights being Nankeen Night-heron (in willows); 3 Pink-eared Ducks and a Black-fronted Dotterel on the island .

"Turning down Blundell's Creek Rd we frequently marvelled at the regeneration of the forest after the 2003 bushfires so well described by Ian Fraser in a recent blog.  After a few hundred metres there seemed to be a few birds around so the convoy paused.  Highlights of the 14 species seen here were Rose Robin (a nicely displaying and calling male); Rufous Fantail; and Fuscous Honeyeater.

"We then headed on down the road avoiding 4 bushwalkers  - sorry about the dust, ladies - and parked at the intersection with Warks Rd.We walked up the road for some while seeing several good species.  After getting checked out by a Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo (the scout for a flock of 9  an early highlight was our first Red-browed Treecreeper.  We ended recording at least 4 of these high country residents.

"Looking down on some tree ferns  our view was enhanced by a pair of  Rufous Fantails.  Some of the group saw a Pilotbird and an Olive Whistler: the rest of the group were envious!

"Our last stop was for a walk down Moonlight Hollow Rd.  The group were promised Flame Robins and a colourful male appeared within the first 20m.  The next thing to appear was a Parks truck, the driver of which advised us that they had been warned to get out of the area as a severe thunderstorm had been picked up on radar heading this way.  We took the hint and scarpered, heading to Bulls Head for an expected comfort stop and an unexpected but interesting chat with two CNP Rangers.

Total for the day (including species seen in transit) was 54!  A full bird list will appear in the trips section of the COG website in due course"

A little more burble and some photographs are at http://franmart.blogspot.com.au/2013/02/cog-goes-to-warks-rd.html

The editors of Gang -gang may wish to include in the future trips area:
The Wednesday walk in March will be to West Belconnen Pond  meeting at 8:30 on 20 March 2012.  Details of the meeting point will be advised in an email to the chatline and on the website closer to the day.