canberrabirds

FW: [canberrabirds] Jerra Birdlist

To: <>
Subject: FW: [canberrabirds] Jerra Birdlist
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 10:39:13 +1100

Well, since you ask so politely, Matt -     I don’t make day lists, but I have checked out that area 4 times in the last week.  So for that period:   Anyone’s list would include blackbirds, c pigs, red-rumps, peewees, SFWs, yr thblls, reed-warbler, and not many waterbirds, but certainly swamphens and wf heron.  There have been a few martins among the swallows, and, also seasonally, passing dollarbirds on the wires, including young.  I have not heard greenfinches recently, but certainly cisticolas are about, also w-p honeyeaters. Common Mynas are carrying food to young in nests and, perhaps of behavioural interest, hunting from the backs of the cows.  This morning we had white ibis and r spoonbill resting on the tops of shrubs near the dairy area, with a g egret nearby.  Curiously, in spite of Kelly’s dryness, the billabong still has much water as does the marshy depression to the east of it viewable from the new track.  These have ducks, though probably not anything unusual.  Of interest to me this morning was that there are 2 pairs of bs kites – one around Kellys, in fact perched at one stage on the new dead-tree-fork structure, and the other just visible on the FSP side in the well-known raptor tree that, unfortunately, is looking much reduced (perhaps from natural causes, perhaps not). The bs kites have been engaged in breeding display, calling and wheeling close to one another.   Incidentally, there has been some draining of the ponds, and if you can get a look at those, while stationed at a non-prohibited location, you might find something unusual.   This morning I was looking particularly for raptors.  Several raptor-like shapes turned out to be soaring darters, but a welcome find was a Little Eagle on that ravaged radiate.  This turned out to be a dark male and not the young from Campbell Pk I have been looking for.  I now think this is the bird that has been seen several times in recent weeks and Steve W videoed.