canberrabirds

RE: Murramarang NP (Bateman's Bay) Bird ID

To: <>
Subject: RE: Murramarang NP (Bateman's Bay) Bird ID
From: Joanne Kinsella <>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 21:49:51 +1100

Hi all, it seems i had juvenile or female satin bowerbirds in my photo. I think i was going down the wrong track because i've never seen BBs in such numbers before! Thanks for your help.

Joanne

Subject: Murramarang NP (Bateman's Bay) Bird ID
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 21:34:20 +1100

Hi everyone. This bird was spotted at Murramarang NP, 5 mins away from Bateman's Bay, this weekend and i would appreciate any ID help. There were several small groups of 3 or 4 making a variety of calls at one another all day and evening (shrieks, chirps, whirrs, single and multiple) - i think mostly aggressive toward one another, certainly not cooperative. I couldn't see any obvious differences between sexes, but they tended to move fast through the middle and tops of tall trees (sorry, i'm no good with trees but they didn't seem picky about perches - didn't see any eating though), a bit skittish around humans. They were the size of rock doves but more solid looking. Sorry, couldn't get a better photo. I am guessing some kind of cuckoo but doesn't seem right to match Horsfield's Bronze or Shining Bronze?

Joanne