canberrabirds

Rapturous non-raptor Help?

To: "'jude hopwood'" <>, "'COG'" <>
Subject: Rapturous non-raptor Help?
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 11:22:04 +1100
Hi Jude,

Well of course it is hard for someone who wasn't there to know on what basis you feel the birds were singing on the ground. I have not observed this, maybe others know of this. However what you actually saw (or didn't) is I scanned for a full 20 minutes but could not see any bird of any sort. It is entirely normal for these birds to be singing (larking) in flight so high in the sky that they are not visible, especially against a clear sky. By that I mean I have often searched for ages in the sky for one and only eventually seen it or seen it come down from near where the sound was coming from, after it stopped singing. So why not that?