canberrabirds

FW: [canberrabirds] Little Eagles at Kellys on Tuesday

To: <>
Subject: FW: [canberrabirds] Little Eagles at Kellys on Tuesday
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2013 11:55:10 +1100

A comment on Steve’s photo.  Little Eagles can be tricky.  Depending on the angle of the light a pale morph can appear dark, and some dark morphs can be quite light.  A main point is that the ‘morphs’ have different dark/light underwing patterns. At lower right is the plumage classification given in HANZAB.  (8) is a typical dark morph (often appearing much lighter).  Note that it entirely lacks the whitish M, which is a strong characteristic of the adult pale morph – (10).  (12) is the juvenile pale morph (variable within the morph as to the underbody colour).  That diagram is VERY LIKE the Campbell Park young (see pic at upper right).  Note darkish breast and belly and white M.

At lower left I have lightened Steve’s ‘dark morph’ pic. While there is room for argument, I believe the distance and angle of light has exaggerated the dark, and that the trace of white M shows this to be a probable juvenile pale  -  ie the Campbell Park young.

For various reasons it will be useful to track the CP young if possible.  I would be interested in any relevant snaps (any quality), and also in any snaps in wetlands/CP/Mt Ainslie area of any dark morph birds.  I think the CP parents are probably both pale morphs, contrary to the apparent pairing observed about a year ago.