canberrabirds

on/off topic

To: COG <>
Subject: on/off topic
From: jude hopwood <>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 17:16:20 +1100
Dear All,
Underlined copy is part of a letter sent to me from the
Itlalics are from my posting earlier today.
Jude

Game bird hunting predominantly happens in rice growing areas like the Riverina and towns nearby the Murray. Some are issued for cereal crops or to protect areas such as golf courses.

The Shooters and Fishers Party’s Bill proposed removing many restrictions on native game bird hunting, with the policy development and administration of licences to be done by the Game Council.

The Government’s amendments that were supported by Parliament provide better protection for native game birds and ensure an ongoing role for the Office of Environment and Heritage.

Under the changes native game bird hunting will be restricted to sustainable agricultural management purposes only.

The policy development and science, including the setting of quotas, will be done by a new Game Bird Management Committee.

The Committee will be chaired by the Department of Primary Industries and comprise both the Game Council and Office of Environment and Heritage. The Committee will determine quotas on the best available science, the periods in which and areas within which native game birds can be hunted.

The administration of licences will be done by the Game Council.

Mark and others,

Let us hope that perhaps those invisible COG members who are concerned about this legislation are quietly and privately attending to making their personal views known to at least their local member.  Perhaps there are those who are unaware of the power of community protest, to wit, the oil and gas industry has had real restrictions placed on its exploration and permits on the Kimberley coast and, hopefully, that near Kangaroo Island. (link to 'Make the Kimberley coast a Marine Park' for those who might like to support the idea.
The WWF director has described these decisions as the result of 'opposition from green groups and the broader community.'  We all know that conservation and preservation of habitat affects large numbers of species and that our bird populations will benefit. How the politicians' offices respond to emails might be less important than the mountain of mail they are forced to respond to, to make it clear that the whole concept is rejected by the bulk of the community.  I no longer believe this to be 'off-topic'.

Daniel - Why is it a bad idea?  In the course of my life I have had conversations with those who 'hunt'. These people have made the following clear.
*To hunt pigs and goats, they use dogs. If these dogs do not return to their owners at the end of the 'hunt' as they often take a line of scent of their own, they are left behind.  A neighbour of mine lost 37 sheep last weekend to a pair of wild dogs, only one of which he was able to shoot. Most of the victims had to be destroyed due to simply being ripped up. As Denis pointed out, we then have native animals being attacked.
 *The purpose of the 'hunt' is not necessarily to rid us of vermin, (which they include kangaroos to be). The 'thrill' of the 'hunt' is intensified by certain (not all) individuals by shooting for a wounding, so you can then confront the wild and injured animal for a conclusion involving baseball bats and large sticks.
* Should the 'hunter' be successful with pigs, goats or deer (I wonder why there would be a ban on deer hunting which allows numbers to build up, if we want to reduce those numbers? Perhaps, Denis, it's to protect any wildwalkers who look like deer...) to 'harvest' them they will need to be able to get a large vehicle close to them: Denis' point about the orchids and other tender native plants added to the careless foot.
*Do you really think nesting season is going to have any influence on the issuing of these licences? It is the Game Council in charge of issuing them.

Graeme: It could be worse, they could have struck a deal with Fred and Elaine Nile I think I would rather suffer someone telling me that God blesses me than share benediction with those who are more likely to say 'Shoot something, Bertie!'.

Denis: Further to Mark's concern, I had first visited the Conservation Council's website before any other, and have been unable to find any mention of this issue. I'd love to know if there is a simple link I've missed.

Let's hope that enough noise is made before a March 'go-ahead' and Martin (and others) abandon their planned NP visits, with or without a Hi-Vis vest.

Respectfully,
Jude