canberrabirds

A long season

To: <>
Subject: A long season
From: "Jack & Andrea Holland" <>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 21:21:49 +1100
Thanks Geoffrey, for the early publicity for COG’s annual boat trip up Molonglo Reach which will take place on Sunday 17 February.

The darter breeding season is indeed a long one, my experience over the now 10 years I’ve been leading these trips is that it starts in September/October but that the main breeding time is in the New Year.  Often we’ve seen very good breeding still in March/April and indeed a couple of times at the end of May we’ve still seen many nests with chicks about to fledge.

I’m hoping that the recent rain will have started a new round of breeding, which will mean a range of breeding activity from nest building, birds on nests and nests with young.

Details will be in February Gang-gang due out this week, still quite a few places left at this time.

Jack Holland