canberrabirds

owls, now diverged to very off topic.

To: "'COG'" <>
Subject: owls, now diverged to very off topic.
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 18:00:09 +1100
I have been corrected on using the words "broad biological principle of ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny" this morning. Thanks to the one cog list member for alerting me to this so quickly. So I will de-emphasise this and try to clarify it, I hope correctly but a little research shows it is a murky story. If you wish to check this, there is heaps on this subject on the internet. This very old (19th century) idea was only ever at best poorly defined and is now mostly superseded idea. It was considered to help illustrate some aspects of connections between animal development and evolution. However I was clearly wrong to call it a "principle". At best it is an idea or model but broad because it has been considered across major animal groups. It has - perhaps due to the pomposity of its wording - been misused. I suspect part of the problem is in the word "recapitulates". To take it as a literal is nonsensical. Beyond that, provided it is not misunderstood I think it has some use. I don't see my use of it as wrong use but I'm not sure. That will need some more thought. I was using it here to the extent that commonly, closely related species in which the adults have evolved to having distinctive calls, still often share similar begging calls of young and this presumably due to evolutionary history.