canberrabirds

Blackbird apparently using lemon juice to deter parasites

To: "'John Layton'" <>, "'Canberra Birds'" <>
Subject: Blackbird apparently using lemon juice to deter parasites
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 16:58:36 +1100
John,

That is sure to be an example of the whole range of behaviours, often called anting, done by a whole range of bird species, just as the one you mention. One very basic reference book I have mentions lemon juice as one of the items used by "captive birds" (but doesn't say which birds). As to whether it is recorded before in Blackbirds, I would think it more likely than not that you would find it if you searched enough but don't know of one. Curiously to think of this, Australia has so many ants but I don't know of our birds using ants this way. Maybe most of our ants are too nasty.