canberrabirds

Eurppean Goldfinches

To: "'Canberra Birds'" <>
Subject: Eurppean Goldfinches
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 15:46:39 +1100
Apart from the flocks around the car park at Kelly’s Swamp, they are regularly around the Tuggeranong Town centre (but not lots).

When I was at high school in Melbourne in the mid 1970 I recall the European Goldfinch as very variable in population there over time. As for their role here compared to other ferals they are fairly benign, even pretty. My other experience with them was in the mid 1970s when I had a large aviary with many finches. This included a pair of Goldfinches. They were not nice at all. The male hogged the food dish and would not allow any other finches at it, except the female Goldfinch, with a lot of aggression between them. He ate almost all day and was obese. I had to put up another feed tray. After a few months I found him dead in the food tray and then the female Goldfinch took over the tyrant role, although she would also sit in the food tray to prevent the other finches using it but she did not eat excessively and did not get fat.

Philip

-----Original Message-----From: Mark Clayton [ Sent: Thursday, 24 January 2013 2:51 PM      To: 'John Layton'; 'Canberra Birds'
Subject: RE: [canberrabirds] Eurppean Goldfinches

John et al,

When I first started working at the then CSIRO Division of Wildlife Research in 1970, the paddocks surrounding the Division had massive infestations of various  thistle species. It was not unusual in winter to see flocks of several hundred European Goldfinches descend on these thistles to feed. Also during winter these same paddocks would have lots of Flame Robins in them, perching on the thistles. The spraying of thistles has reduced their number significantly and the biggest patch I can recall seeing anywhere local lately is near the car park at Kelly’s Swamp. Judging by the signs in the nearby paddock these are under attack by ACT Parks and CSIRO – and rightly so. I would imagine that the prolonged drought over eastern Australia also has had a dramatic impact on breeding success of this species, coupled with the expansion of housing into many former paddocks. The breaking of the drought over the last couple of years has probably given them some respite but as we appear to be heading back to dry times, their “revival” may be short lived.

I gather from your little “unhappy face” that you are of British decent and have a soft spot for the species. I’m afraid I am siding with the Collared Sparrowhawk on this one.

“Charmed”

Mark

From: John Layton [ Sent: Thursday, 24 January 2013 9:44 AM      To: Canberra Birds
Subject: [canberrabirds] Eurppean Goldfinches

At 06:30 today about 10 European Goldfinches moved through our yard, and I could make out maybe 3 or 4 immatures. This was particularly satisfying as I’ve not seen E. Goldfinches hereabouts for at least 15 years. Are there any hypotheses as to their apparent demise?

At 07:30 I went outside again and saw a male Collared Sparrowhawk plucking a small bird atop a Silver Birch. I bade brat to bring binos and watched from 15m away. And, maybe you’ve guessed it, the prey item was ... an immature European Goldfinch L!

To another species; I’ve noticed more House Sparrows here last spring and this summer than I have in 20 years.

John K. Layton

Holt.