canberrabirds

FW: [canberrabirds] Red whiskered Bulbul

To: <>
Subject: FW: [canberrabirds] Red whiskered Bulbul
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 18:18:28 +1100

Here are some points for anyone interested is satisfying their curiosity about local information on a particular species.  Apart from the basic ACT books that we have discussed from time to time, there are two very useful sources:

1)       The chatline archive.  This can be called up through the link that appears at the bottom of some messages.

I keep a message that lists that link in a message folder, and I can quickly go to it and bring it up in a few seconds

2)      The other source is the scanned copies of Canberra Bird Notes (thanks again Alastair Smith) that can be brought up through the COG website.  There are cautions about accuracy of the scanning, and more recent issues are not included, but they are very easy to search.  Just now I put in ‘Red-whiskered Bulbul’ and brought up the record by Steve Wilson in  1993 and the one by Henry Nix in 1999.  These are reproduced below.  This took about 3 minutes.

Canberra Bird Notes 24(1)  March 1999

ODD OBS

Red-whiskered Bulbul at Lake George, NSW

On 13 February 1999 while participating

in a forum on Lake George at 'Silver

Wattle'  — a convention centre located

below the escarpment along Lake Road

north of Bungendore  — I  heard the

unmistakable calls of a Red-whiskered

Bulbul  Pycnonotus jocosus. I  was able to

establish that the calls were coming from

the old orchard to the north of the

building, but I  was not able to leave the

small conference room without giving

offense to the speaker. Calling sequences

were repeated for twenty five minutes

and then ceased some fifteen minutes

before the morning-tea break released

me for a search. Both this and a more

thorough search during the lunch break

were unsuccessful and no further calls

were heard.

While visual confirmation was not

obtained I am in no doubt that the bird

calling was a Red-whiskered Bulbul  — a

species with which I am thoroughly

familiar both in its native habitats in Asia

as well as its occurrence as an introduced

species both in Sydney and Melbourne

as well as in Honolulu, Mauritius and

Reunion. Because it is a popular cage

bird in some cultures I did check whether

this might have been the case at 'Silver

Wattle' or on adjoining properties, but

drew a blank on that possibility.

The first and only published report of the

Red-whiskered Bulbul in the local region

was of a single bird heard and then seen

in a Canberra garden on 16 May, 1993

(S.J. Wilson, 1993). A sedentary species

in its native habitat. most extensions of

r a n g e   a n d   e s t a b l i s h m e n t   o f   n e w

populations have been attributed to

deliberate releases and aviary escapes

( L o n g ,   1 9 8 1 ) .   H o w e v e r ,   s t e a d y

expansion of range following a variable,

but often lengthy, period of initial

establishment and consolidation is also

well documented for many sedentary

s p e c i e s .   W h e r e   a r e   t h e   n e a r e s t

established populations of the Redwhiskered Bulbul? Is the species present

as a cage bird in the Canberra region?

Documentation of the dispersal and

establishment of exotic species is

important, because without it our

understanding of those processes will

remain limited.

References

Long, John L. (1981) Introduced Birds of the

World. Reed: Sydney. pp.296-9

Wilson, S.J. (1993) Red-whiskered Bulbul —

a new species for the  Australian Capital

Territory.  Canberra Bird Notes  18(3):

44.

Henry Nix, 22 Syme Crescent,

RED-WHISKERED BULBUL - A NEW SPECIES FOR THE AUSTRALIAN

CAPITAL TERRITORY

S.J. Wilson

On 16 May 1993. whilst in my front garden, I heard a bird calling from behind the

house. I immediately recognised the call as being that of a Red-whiskered Bulbul

Pyconotus jocosus - a species I have seen and heard frequently in Sydney. I went in

quest of the source of the call and found the bird sitting by itself, calling, on the

powerlines above the back fence. The bird was readily identified by its call and its

rather erect posture, prominent crest, and relatively long tail. The crown was black

with a permanently erect black crest. Its lores and throat were white with a black

tapered line on the side of the throat. The breast was fawn (Simpson and Day (1993)

have the colour closer than Slater et al. (1986) though the pose is better in the latter),

the back plain brown, and the tail dark grey with white terminal spots.

No native bird has the crest and posture. The bird most likely to resemble a

Red-whiskered Bulbul may be an adult male Rufous Whistler. but its perching

stance is not as vertical. and the breast is a deeper rufous shade. It also does not

have the crest and therefore there is really little similarity except vaguely in colour.

Together with my wife, I observed the bird for about eight minutes. with both

the naked eye and binoculars (5x10), until it flew off in a southerly direction.

Details of the sighting were submitted to the Rarities Panel and have been

endorsed by them. (See Rarities Panel News in this issue. eds.)