canberrabirds

Big Year 2012 and counts of ACT birds

To: <>
Subject: Big Year 2012 and counts of ACT birds
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 12:37:47 +1100
Thanks for that, it was Martin who provided the hint to convert the file to a form that I could use. At a quick count my ACT list is at 223, although there are some that I was not sure if I remember right as being ACT obs, rather than COG AOI, so left them off. However I have added one species that is not on the list. That is Fischer's Lovebird, a pair some years ago across the road from my house, being watched greedily by some Pied Currawongs. I don't know why they are not on the list. I did put in a report. These were certainly not Peach-faced Lovebirds, that I have also seen in Canberra.

I wonder why the Spotted Dove, Muscovy Duck and Peafowl are not in the main list but only on the Supplementary List. They are certainly far more abundant than are many of the (vagrant) waders (for example) included on the main list and at least the Spotted Dove and Peafowl are known to be breeding and permanently present as well. Thus are as deserving as Starling, Myna & House Sparrow to be on the main list and more so than these many vagrants.

I also note that some editing needed, with species names (BTNH, gull, tern & cockatoos and no doubt others) are missing a space to separate from the genus names.

As for Geoffrey's question. Well that would be an dubious comparison or at least not relevant to the ACT. The main thing contributing to this is where people have been.

A curious question is what species people have seen both in Australia and the northern hemisphere, especially if you have had limited time in the northern hemisphere. My list is just three: Black Swan, Fork-tailed Swift and Tree Sparrow. But then I have only been outside Australia for 3 weeks.