canberrabirds

Intermediate Egrets at Kellys Swamp

To: Canberra Birds <>
Subject: Intermediate Egrets at Kellys Swamp
From: Harvey Perkins <>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 22:06:07 +1100
There were at least 5 Intermediate Egrets at Kellys Swamp this afternoon between 4 and 5 pm. Foraging fairly warily in the green out from Ardea hide. Also 1 Great Egret to provide excellent comparison of size, neck length and foraging behaviour (at the edge of the water). There was also another egret roosting high in a tree - I think it was a Great Egret (it was hunched most of the time so difficult to be sure) and I'm pretty sure there was another egret (possibly another Intermediate) hiding in the foliage of the Nankeen Night Heron trees. I've not seen that many Intermediate Egrets in Canberra before.

The four Royal Spoonbills also flew in during the period, so there was a lot of white on the swamp.

Harvey