canberrabirds

re hide refurbishment at Jerrabomberra Wetlands

Subject: re hide refurbishment at Jerrabomberra Wetlands
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 12:02:45 +1100
Those who know me will be surprised (at least) to find me supporting an ACT Government initiative, but that is where I end up on this one.

Surely the number of uncommon species recently being reported from the hides is major evidence that the impact of the redesign has been minimal?  My views are pretty much summarised by Margaret's post.  I was not a fan of the changes but now find them inoffensive, and since I have seen a few unfamiliar names reporting to the chatline perhaps they have encouraged a few new people to join the observer pool?

WRT to the need for COG to have input: surely these changes would have been made with the agreement of the Board of Management, on which COG is represented?

One issue that is unfortunate is that the announcement of the extension of refurbishment was made the day after the Ranger (who IMHO is doing a damn fine job) went on leave and is thus unable to respond to the matters raised.   Hopefully some of the constructive ideas about redesign of viewing slots in the new hides can be revisited for the other two hides but as far as A B C are concerned it has happened so let  us move on.

Martin