canberrabirds

Another Frogmouth nesting - update

To: <>
Subject: Another Frogmouth nesting - update
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 16:52:40 +1100
I have just come home from visiting the Tawny Frogmouth nest again. To my surprise I was wrong about that it was "probably incubating eggs or if there are chicks, they are very small". They must have been sitting very low. There are actually two chicks (maybe more?), about 30% grown, mostly feathered, looking very muppet-like. One was preening, looking around, climbing out of the nest.

I searched for the Olive backed Oriole nest for a few minutes that search became much easier (successful) when the 3 chicks were calling, as the parent came to feed them, which happened at about 5 minute intervals. At one point the Oriole was foraging < a metre above the Frogmouth's nest.

Then for extra value, there is a Noisy Friarbird's nest with chicks in one of the 4 trees in the central car park island.

All three are very easy to find.

Philip

-----Original Message-----From: Joanne Kinsella [ Sent: Tuesday, 11 December 2012 8:29 PM
To:       Subject: RE: [canberrabirds] Another Frogmouth nesting

Hi everyone, i also saw this frogmouth today sitting on its nest, very easy to see. Also about 20m behind the frogmouth tree in the top of one of the taller trees (sorry, don't really know tree species) there's an O-B Oriole nest - i saw one of the parents feeding approx. 3 chicks.

Joanne