canberrabirds

Hot November Days (4)

To: <>
Subject: Hot November Days (4)
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 14:39:52 +1100

I spent Wednesday night at a motel in Hay, planning to make a quick visit to Oolambeyan on Thursday morning.  Not a lot to report from there -  many raptors, probably as many as I came across in the whole of the rest of the trip.  A stock dam had about 30 Black-tailed Native-hens scurrying around in the salt-bush. Just south of the highway and to the west of Conargo Rd is a vast series of lakelets that looked newly constructed to me (ie maybe in last 5 years).   The shallow water – from our (technically more their)  Murrumbidgee -  would have been evaporating like mad under the baking sun.   The crop looked like rice.  The only bird life was a sprinkling of White-necked Herons, and at one point a distant sliver of resting terns.  Without a scope I could just make these out to be a dozen or so Gull-billed and about twice that number of Whiskered.  The other distant snap is from an irrigated paddock on the other side of the highway  -  plenty of egrets and spoonbills there.  You will search in vain for the strain or age-class of spoonbill that normally carries those pale ochre heads.  I assume they had been feeding in an infusion of red soil.