canberrabirds

Toddler chough, big raven(?)

Subject: Toddler chough, big raven(?)
From: pardalote <>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 17:59:43 +1100
Hi All

I thought I'd let you know that there was a young chough in Campbell the other day, just after Anzac Parade.  It was toddling around in an odd, exaggerated fashion, with its parent (caretaker, knowing that choughs kidnap chicks from other flocks) near the construction site.

Yesterday, along William Hovell drive, a few hundred meters downhill from Kama, I spied a peculiar raven.  This was maybe 30 minutes before the storm hit.  The poor, perching raven was being bombed, swooped and harassed by a nankeen kestrel, which was much much smaller than itself.  At this point, I realized that the poor old raven was not a raven at all, and was actually a wedge-tailed eagle, happily minding its own business.  I found it rather interesting that raptors, too, will harass other raptors.

Matt.