canberrabirds

Gooroo South woodland survey 25/11/12

To: <>, <>
Subject: Gooroo South woodland survey 25/11/12
From: "Steve Holliday" <>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 15:46:20 +1100

Prue and I had nice conditions for our final woodland survey of the year. Plenty of bird activity with 59 species recorded, 48 of them during our 10 minute counts. 2 species not previously encountered during our surveys turned up; a Brown Quail calling near site 3 and a pair of Hardheads on one of the dams. No less than 23 species were seen or heard at site 3; besides the Brown Quail, there were Dusky Wood Swallows, Rufous Songlarks, a Horsfield’s Bronze-Cuckoo and White-winged Trillers, all within close range. Other records of interest included Diamond Firetail heard at site 1, Red-browed Finches nest building at site 8, a rather unseasonal White-eared Honeyeater at site 2, and 5 Varied Sittellas and a Brown Falcon at site 6. Several Superb Parrots were seen and Mistletoebirds were at 5 sites.

The reserve was still looking very green despite the recent drier weather with lush growth of grass and a wide range of exotic and native wildflowers. Box Mistletoe and Black Wattle were also in flower.