canberrabirds

woodland survey - callum brae

To: Cog line <>
Subject: woodland survey - callum brae
From: sandra henderson <>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 12:36:44 +1100
undertaken in Sunday 25th Nov, which was pleasant when I started, but getting uncomfortably hot by the time I'd finished. The weeds are taking over again, with plenty of St John's Wort, and saffron thistle appearing in several places. Grasses in some areas is waist high and the once-mown tracks (and some of my survey marks) are starting to disappear.  44 species in total. The Brown Goshawk persuaded me to abort final survey a couple of minutes early, with a low pass overhead and alarm call. A male Red-browed Finch was seen presenting his lady friend with a grass stalk with lots of seeds before mating with her, and both Galahs and Little Corellas were noted in hollows. Dusky Woodswallows were chasing a magpie near "nursery corner", but I didn't linger to find their nest. The big farm dam included a Pacific Black Duck family with eight small ducklings. Other birds of interest were Speckled Warbler, several Leaden Flycatchers, a Dollarbird, several Rufous Songlarks, and a Brown Falcon. A Shingleback lizard was basking in the sun on top of the large stump near the farm dam fenceline.

sandra h