canberrabirds

Possibly final update of Carwoola Tawny Frogmouths for 2012

To: COG List <>
Subject: Possibly final update of Carwoola Tawny Frogmouths for 2012
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 07:41:31 +1100
I am declaring that the 2 chick have finally fledged.  I have used that form of words since I am not absolutely certain when they first flew.

On Friday last week (9 November) the male and the chicks emerged from the nest and perched for most of the day on another part of the same branch.  in the late afternoon they all shuffled back down to the nest where the chicks were visible after dark.  This pattern continued for Saturday to Monday.  On Tuesday afternoon they didn't do the shuffle but the chicks maintained their position (if not their rage) until at least 10pm.  On Wednesday evening at 9:30 the nest tree was devoid of Frogmouths until Mum turned up with a mouthful of skink.  This morning the chicks and Dad were back in their recent position.

This is the first year that they have continued to use the nest tree as a roost after first flight.  I have concluded that once they flew they have ceased to use the nest and thus conclude they first flew (which is my definition of 'fledge') sometime between about 10pm on 12th November and 6am on 13th.  This gives the brooding period of 61 days and the time since hatching of 33 days: both the same as last year.

--
Martin Butterfield